Best Download Accelerator for Linux, Windows or Mac OS X
We all know that windows has a lot of Download accelerators for it, but same is not true with Linux and Mac , although their are alternatives like Kget and wget in Linux , but still they are not that effective as they can not be integrated with Firefox, do not have multi-threaded download feature etc.
wxDownload Fast (also known as wxDFast) is an open source download manager. It is multi-platform and builds on Windows(2k,XP), Linux and Mac OS X. Besides that, it is a multi-threaded download manager. This means that it can split a file into several pieces and download the pieces simultaneously.
- Faster downloads (with Segmented/Multi-threaded/Accelerated transfers)
- Download resuming (Pause and restart where you stopped)
- Download scheduling
- Organizes files you have already downloaded
- View server messages.
- Available in multiple languages and easily translated. Now available in Portuguese [Brazil], Spanish, English, German, Russian, Hungarian, Armenian, Indonesian and Dutch
- Connection to HTTP/FTP servers which require a password
- Calculates the MD5/SHA1 checksum of downloaded files so they can be easily verified
- Metalink support
- Firefox integration through FlashGot
- Can be used as a portable download manager (Windows only)
- Can be used over proxy servers(HTTP proxy support)
Download links for various OS
Windows XP Binary – wxDownloadFast_0.6.0.exe ( ##For Windows)
Source Code – wxdfast_0.6.0.tar.gz
Debian Sid Binary Package – wxdfast_0.6.0_i386.deb (## for Ubuntu)
Or add the line "deb-src http://mentors.debian.net/debian unstable main" to your sources.list and use: apt-get install wxdfast
Ubuntu Edgy i386 Binary Package – wxdfast_0.6.0-1_ubuntu_i386.deb
Package created by a user called Mallo Blenne.
Ubuntu Edgy AMD64 Binary Package – wxdfast_0.6.0_amd64.deb
Package created by a user called John Clark.