Instagram Finally Launched for Android
Android users have got all the more reason to be happy. Instagram is now finally available for download on Google Play. With over 30 million+ users on iOS, Instagram is all set to brighten up the lives of Android users. And for some wondering what Instagram is all about, here is a sneak peek at what this amazing app does. Instagram is indeed the most loved way of sharing a photo with the world, and moreover its free 🙂
Instagram allows you to take a picture, apply various breath taking digital filters and upload it to various social media sites (Facebook, Twitter, Foursquare, Tumblr, Flickr , Foursquare and Posterous). Earlier only compatible with iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch running iOS 3.1.2 or above, now Instagram will run on any camera phone with Android 2.2 or above with support for OpenGL ES 2.
Instagram co-founder Kevin Systrom says that they have more than 30 million users in iOS and soon will reach the mark of 100 million user base. A team of 13 people who designed the app for iOS has designed the app for Android.
“The Android app offers an extremely familiar Instagram experience when compared to the iOS app. You’ll find all the same exact filters and community as our iOS version. iOS features like Tilt/Shift, Flickr integration and inline posting didn’t make the cut this time but will hit future versions. The app is also available in Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese and Spanish.”
— Kevin Systrom (Instagram, Co-Founder)
Using Instagram is no rocket science; simply select a picture or click a picture that you want to share and upload it. Once uploaded add your favorite photo effect and get going. A very peculiar feature of Instagram is that it generates an image in a very decent looking square shape, which is in homage to both the Kodak Instamatic and Polaroid Cameras.
Features of Instagram for Android
- 100% free custom designed filters and borders
- Lux works its magic by making your photos more vibrant and brings out details in your photos you couldn’t see before
- Instant sharing to Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, and Foursquare (Flickr coming very soon)
- Interact with friends through giving & receiving likes and comments
- Works with Android versions 2.2 and above that support OpenGL ES 2
- Full front & back camera support
List of Awards for Instagram
- At TechCrunch Crunchies in January 2011 Instagram was runner-up for Best Mobile App
- CEO Kevin Systrom was placed 66th in the 100 Most Creative People in Business in 2011 by Fast Company
- Inc. Magazine placed both Co-Founders Systrom and Krieger in 2011’s – 30 Under 30 list
- At SF Weekly Web Awards in September 2011, Instagram won Best Locally Made App
- 7×7 Magazine’s had Co-Founders Systrom and Krieger on the cover of their Sepetember 2011 issue
- Apple Inc. awarded Instagram with titlel of App of the Year in December 2011.